The right restaurant POS Systems can provide a business with unlimited potential. Since their inception in the 1980s, restaurants have been using POS systems to increase customer satisfaction, track sales and manage inventory. But with mainstream technology continually changing, tomorrow’s restaurant POS system will be much different from its predecessor. These technological advancements are changing how modern restaurant POS systems are designed and deployed. Consider these five factors that are impacting restaurant POS:
- The increased reliability and security of wireless networks is making mobile POS and other applications a reality
- The reduced cost of deploying wireless solutions enables even small restaurant operations to leverage this technology
- Advancements in mobile devices combined with the increased use by the general population makes it easier to train staff and customers
- The growth in the use of electronics by both restaurants and consumers is making digital marketing and upselling a reality
- The growth in use of self-service checkout stations provides a convenient way for customers to place orders
Why Wireless is Already Important
Today’s modern restaurants offer wireless connectivity as an added convenience for the connected customer. As a result, many manufacturers’ of restaurant POS systems offer options so that their point of sale systems can be configured to be wireless ready. While presence of wireless networks can be attractive to customers, having it in the workplace also enables staff to more easily communicate, conduct and transact business with patrons.
Using Mobility to Increase Profitability and the Customer Experience
In a report released by business analyst comScore last year, nearly 134 million Americans own a smartphone- a 10 percent increase over the previous year. What this means is that the consumers are only a push button away from taking action. Whether you want them to make a reservation, place on order online or simply call for directions- mobile devices make it easier to turn a prospect into a patron.
The same is true for restaurant employees. Using tablets and smartphones in the workplace enables restaurants to streamline activities like order taking, food preparation, and tableside payment processing. This not only increases customer satisfaction but also table turnover by allowing servers and restaurant owners to serve more customers per shift.
Leverage Digital Marketing Influence Buying Decisions
Smart restaurants use digital marketing to attract, convert and upsell. Digital marketing is making its way into restaurants for popular applications like:
– Using digital signage to personalize messaging to patrons
– Digital menus and daily special boards
– Using digital signage to upsell or promote profitable specials
– Selling ad space to independent businesses looking to promote their services
With advancements in online ordering and data collected through your POS systems, restaurants can learn now more effectively market to customers electronically.
With how fast-paced society has become, many restaurant concepts come to the realization that they need to offer self-service as a means to reduce customer wait times. While factors like quality of food and pricing are important factors that affect repeat business, the ability to streamline the ordering and food delivery process are just as critical to busy patrons.
As technology continues to evolve, so will restaurant POS systems. Monitoring mainstream technology trends will help your business understand what technology is on the horizon so that your business can remain competitive.